Erickson Financial Services, Inc. &
Emmett J. King, LLC
Colorado Health Insurance Broker & Group Benefits Adviser
Child Only Health Insurance in Colorado
Qualifying for a Child Only Health Insurance Plan in Colorado:
In order to purchase a child-only health insurance policy in Colorado, the child must have had one of the following qualifying enrollment events within the past 30 days:
- birth within the past 30 days
- adoption within the past 30 days
- parent married within the past 30 days
- parent divorced within the past 30 days
- court-ordered coverage within the past 30 days
- involuntary loss of employer-sponsored coverage within the past 30 days (note: cancellation of employer-sponsored coverage because it's unaffordable does not count as a qualifying event.)
- involuntary loss of other insurance for reasons other than fraud or failure to pay premium. (note: cancellation because it's unaffordable does not count as a qualifying event.)
- Apply during an open enrollment Period
If your child does not have a qualifying event, you must wait to apply until open enrollment. Applications MUST be received during the months of open enrollment.
Options for Child-Only Coverage in Between Open Enrollment Periods
- Low-Income families may qualify to place their child(ren) on SCHIP (CHP Plus) through www.cchp.org.
Too Expensive to Add Child to Employer Plan?
If you are looking at child-only health insurance coverage because it is too expensive to add your child to a parent's employer-sponsored plan, please contact us. We will do our best to find an affordable option for your family and child(ren).